The Benefits of Being Outside
Being outside is beneficial for the mind and body, so with that in mind, here are some tips to do so safely.
- If your child is over two and is going to be out and about have them wear a face covering. Children under two should not wear a mask for safety reasons, but everyone else should have one available.
- Avoid high trafficked areas where it isn’t possible to keep a safe distance of six feet from people outside of your home.
- Children LOVE to touch everything! Remind them not to touch things. If they are younger, keeping them in a stroller or carriage might help with this. This means no sitting on benches, touching playground equipment, doors, signs, balls, or anything else.
- Bring hand sanitizer with you, keep it in your purse, diaper bag, attached to a stroller, and in your car. This way it’s always available to you when hand washing isn’t available.
- Only go out with people you live with.
Children prosper when they can get outside and release pent up energy. They thrive in nature and are mentally healthier when they can get outside.
We have so many beautiful nature preserves to walk and ride bikes and beaches right in our backyards! They are open for us to use, and it is healthy for children to be outside breathing fresh air. We just need to be mindful as we try to get back to a normal life.